What the Dust Hides
In the spirit of preserving the tomb’s reputation as a place of unparalleled danger, this article series offers 10 macabre new traps for use in tomb adventures at any tier of play. Watch out!
The dancing grotesques shown in this mural evoke haunting visions of your own demise…
Level 3 Obstacle; XP 150
Trap A frightening mural attacks living creatures that look upon it.
No check is needed to notice the mural.
Additional Skill (Religion)
DC 16—You recognize the nature of the mural.
DC 26—Your knowledge gives a +2 bonus to Diplomacy checks made to grant allies a saving throw against the trap’s effect.
Trigger When a living creature moves within line of sight of the trap, it makes an attack. The trap activates again when a new character moves within line of sight or if a character leaves and then re-enters line of sight.
No Action Ranged sight
Target The triggering creature.
Attack +6 vs. Will.
Hit 1d8 + 3 psychic damage, and the target takes a −2 penalty to Will defense and death saving throws (save ends).
- Once per round, with a minor action and a Diplomacy check (DC 16), a character can help an ally within 10 squares shake off the visions, granting them a saving throw against the trap’s effect.
- Characters can avert their gaze to avoid being attacked by the mural. Characters doing so do not trigger the trap, but grant combat advantage to nonadjacent enemies.
Upgrade to Elite (Elite XP)
- Increase the DCs for Diplomacy and Religion by 2.
- Increase the trap’s attack rolls by 2.
- Increase the trap’s damage to 1d10 + 3.